Monday, August 18, 2008

Books vs. Computers

Well, I guess this isn't really an "either/or" situation as the title suggests. I been thinking about books, and the piles of them I have scattered throughout my house. I think about how maybe I should buy a Kindle or some other type of E-book and download what I want to read. Or maybe find more books available on-line and read them on my laptop. It would certainly cause less clutter in my life if I did.

Then, tonight I was watching old episodes of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on Hulu, (don't laugh, I'm a Whedonholic), and there was a discussion at the end of the episode between the librarian Giles (played perfectly by Anthony Head) and a computer lab teacher, explaining why he preferred books over technology.



I agree with this on a purely emotional level. Although it seems my lifestyle depends heavily on computers as a social network, as a source of news, or just to find those silly little tidbits such as pictures of cats with oddly typed "capshuns", for me there is nothing like holding a book, running a hand over the cover, and if it is an older book, taking a deep whiff of the pages, wishing that the papery smell could be captured in a bottle, for I would wear it as perfume. Well, not the ones that have succumbed to mold and mildew, of course.

As lost as I would be without my computer, how less my life would be if I could no longer become lost in a book...lost in something I can carry with me where ever I go. Something as simple as words on a page. Touched by my hand. Written by the hand of another.

No comments:

Post a Comment